Cook time: 30 mins
Want to spoil your dad this fathers day to thank him for all those awesome "dad" jokes? There is a little extra effort involved in this breakfast, but believe me its worth the effort, you will score big brownie points for this one! You can pre-poach a few eggs the day before to save some time.
4 tomatoes, halved
Olive oil for drizzling (or truffle oil)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
A little sugar
2 sprigs fresh thyme, stalk removed, chopped
5 fresh eggs
1 litre cooking oil
2 tbsp flour, seasoned
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
8 rashers streaky bacon or pancetta
1 ciabatta loaf, sliced, grilled then buttered
2 cups rocket, dressed with a little oil and lemon (optional)
2 tbsp tomato chutney (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the tomatoes on a roasting tray and drizzle over a little olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of sugar and thyme, then place in the oven and roast until they just begin to lose their shape, around 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, carefully poach 4 eggs until just cooked. Drain on a paper towel.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer until a piece of bread dropped in turns golden within 20 seconds. Whisk the remaining egg in a bowl. Place the flour into another and the breadcrumbs in a third. Dip each poached egg in the flour to coat, then the beaten egg and then the breadcrumbs. Do this carefully as you do not want to break the yolk. Deep-fry the crumbed eggs until golden, but don’t overcook – the egg yolk should be runny.
- Heat a frying pan and add a little oil. When hot add the bacon or pancetta. Cook until crisp.
- I like to stack everything from the bread up to the egg to serve.
- A drizzle of truffle oil finishes these off deliciously.