Cook time: 40 min
Cathy’s brownie recipe was a star at my mother’s café, Rhubarb, in Taranaki. She spent time in the States where she discovered the deliciousness of these chocolate brownies when she was 10 years old and visiting a family friend in Portland, Oregon. Twenty –two years later and she says her mouth still waters when this brownie comes out of the oven. If you like your brownies chewy, be sure to beat the eggs in really well!
400g unsalted butter
1 cup cocoa
4 cups brown sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
1 cup chocolate buttons
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease a 20 x 30 cm slice tin.
- Melt the butter and cocoa in a large saucepan. Stir to combine, then add the sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Take the pan off the heat, sift in the flour and combine.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add to the mixture and stir until well combined. Pour into a tin. Pace the chocolate buttons on top in a pattern of your choice.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until if feels slightly firm. Cool in the tin, then slice. Dust with icing sugar.
- Be careful not to overcook the brownie or it will be dry.
- Throw in a few raspberries for something a little different